Why are you not a member?
It is an absolutely silly question. Writing as I do, openly and honestly I would have a membership life expectancy of days as a member if I was. Nothing happens if you plot to bring down a former leader and First Minister but write a few lines against the NEC and you are a dead duck! Let’s look at it though and you can decide if I did the wrong thing not renewing my membership.
The most common suggestion is “Why not stay a member and change it from the inside?” How practical is that? Let’s look at some of the key issues at the moment.
I think these would all qualify as major issues
- The organised fit up of Alex Salmond by senior members of the SNP attempting to jail him, potentially for the rest of his life, on a litany of false and trivial allegations, leaking the charges to the media, then continuing the smears after the charges were all dismissed by the jury.
- A complete absence of any disciplinary action against those involved
- No action taken to suspend the Party CEO despite his clear involvement.
- The complete removal of National Council, the one body where individuals or branches could highlight problems and seek support from across the Party.
- The use of a secret ballot within the NEC for the first time ever, removing all accountability to the membership.
- The growth of minority representation resulting in the relegation of Independence on the NEC.
- Abuse of the vetting selection process to assist the chances of certain candidates.
- The abuse of removing constituency powers in arranging hustings etc.
- Denying constituencies access to their own mailing lists of members.
- The overdue status of the Party Accounts for 2019, now many months late
Presuming nobody would describe any of the above as being trivial and being sure that loads of members, inside the Party are pretty mad about a lot of them how is “changing things from within the Party” going for them.? Lots of them have written to the National Secretary, Business Convener, HQ listing their concerns. They have been met with a wall of silence in the main. So trying to change things from within is off to a pretty dismal start. Where next?
Well in the past you could have went to National Council, you could have asked your questions publicly at office bearers reports and they would have been forced to answer EXCEPT they got rid of National Council, removing at a stroke the ability of members and branches to join together and force issues and answers from the Party leading figures. How convenient?
Let us just take a look at what is happening, hustings are restricted to 100 members each, the secret NEC committee was created to add candidates in many constituencies, Dumbarton for instance had two candidates added at the last minute, neither of whom anyone had ever met. They were banned from creating a shortlist so their hustings involved seven different candidates all sharing a ninety minute hustings with many hundreds of members denied access, but expected days later on vote on “their” choice without hearing a word from most of the candidates. Fair…you have got to be kidding.
So all you members, how are you getting on changing any of the above, getting justice for Alex Salmond, building a campaign across the country to get National Council reconvened? Your not are you? Why, because you don’t know how to contact branches across the country? No list exists does it? Hands up anybody that thinks this is an accident! Your communication is entirely reliant on HQ, who can turn it on or off like a tap, as Dumbarton discovered last week.
So changing anything from within is a joke. Let’s face facts, a lot of the above wouldn’t be known by many members if it was not for blogs like mine. Ordinary members would be still in the dark to all these moves. Moves that are purposely designed to remove the powers of the ordinary members and branches. Moves that are designed to centrally control the entire Party in the hands of the clique.
Ditching Salmond, dumping National Council, stuffing the NEC with minorities and taking control setting an agenda completely foreign to the drive to Independence, forcing highly divisive issues like GRA and the Hate Crime Bill to the top of the agenda are all part of the same plan. Now there are loads of members who are opposed to all of the above but none, thus far, have been able to solve it from within.
Now thanks to blogs like mine and others, we are attacking their plan, revealing what is going on, giving you the info you need to tackle it from within. Now you know about it, something that wouldn’t happened without the assistance of the bloggers.
So when you listen to the clique and their leaders decrying bloggers like myself understand their motivation. They hate us because we shine lights on their dirty little plots, expose their games and make it infinitely more difficult for them to get away with it.
I will continue to do my bit, as will many of my fellow bloggers. Thanks to us you know the games that are being played. It’s now up to you as insiders to bring it all to a halt
I am, as always
YOURS FOR SCOTLAND
If you enJoyed this blog why not take out a free subscription to this site which are available on the Home and Blog pages of this website.